Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Can't Do That

In a recent conversation with a new home sales professional we were discussing the steps that would be required for him to succeed under the current market conditions.

He is currently working in a stalled community that requires addressing the challenges and solutions that are necessary to revitalize the community sales efforts.

What happened next in the conversation shocked me to the core!

His response regarding a plan of action was, “I can’t do that.”

I paused for a moment and I replied that I agreed with him. By the look on his face he looked relieved.

I replied that I believed he was right because he said, he could not do it. Now he looked shocked.

I explained to him that his response was coming from his personal belief system and those beliefs would control his attitude and the actions he would undertake in any situation. Next I explained to him that his personal belief system is a product of his thinking.

We spoke about how people become what they continually think about. As we continued the conversation he paused for a moment and said that the conversation was an eye opener for him. What he shared with me was that he was letting the market control him and his thinking, which he said had become negative and unproductive, and it was overflowing into his personal life. He also said that he had to return to positive thinking.

Some time has passed since that conversation and I’ve seen a remarkable change in his business and personality. He shared with me that he has become more productive and positive in every aspect of his life.

I have noticed that he has become a proactive thinker and has made a major contribution in turning his community around.

It comes down to our personal belief system. If we believe we can do it, we can and will. If we believe we can’t do, we won’t. With either way you are correct in what you think.

No comments: